Sunday 15 May 2016

VB Signature - Blurring The Lines Between Cuisines

Vanakkam,

The first thing that pops into my head when I hear about Vasanta Bhavan is how conventional and predictable its menu is. Well… This place successfully breaks that trend. I can comfortably say that this is the best Vasanta Bhavan I have ever been to.

VB Signature
Mocktails - VB Signature

There aren’t a lot of places that I can compare this to. I mean, who else serves a Thai flavoured Kothu Parotta?? Read on...



The obviously talented Chef has created a course of geographically confusing recipes. Of course, in a good way.

Welcome drinks like Filter coffee soda, Ilaneer Inji Soda, and Bovonto Black Mojito are bold and radically new. As a coffee person myself, I would have preferred a stronger coffee flavour in the drink. And someone who likes tender coconut and Bovonto would love the other two drinks.

VB Signature - Chennai Bloggers
Aam Panna & Bovonto Black Mojito - Nachos' & Kulfi's Drinks

Of course, they also have more traditional drinks like Aam Panna, Home made Chai Ice tea and Pomegranate Juice and other fresh juices. They all have one thing in common. They are all distinctive. And breaking conventions is indeed good. Oh, by the way, the fresh juices are served without any sugar, just the way they should be. This is a good news for those diet conscious people.

Among the starters, the one I liked the best was Marina Molaga Bajji. Being a fan of the original molaga bajji made in Marina, I was a little skeptical, at first. Damn, was I wrong! If KFC Chicken and Molaga Bajji fell madly in love with each other, eloped, and made love in the mountains under the stars, they would conceive this recipe. Served with tangy sweet chutney, this one made me cry. (Don’t worry, this restaurant is completely vegetarian)

VB Signature - Chennai Bloggers
Marina Molaga Bajji

"Kotthu Parotta Lost in Bangkok" is again something that intrigued me. Unfortunately, I couldn’t enjoy it, as I still haven’t developed a taste for lemongrass, unlike Kulfi who enjoyed this dish to the fullest. If you like Kotthu Parotta and Thai food, you are gonna love this.

VB Signature - Chennai Bloggers
Kothu Parotta Lost In Bangkok

Tandoori momos were served with 3 different sauces, filled in 3 different pipettes (looked like ink fillers I used back in middle school). The colourful presentation of these pipettes is definitely tempting to look at. And Kavipoo Hash Browns were hash browns made of cauliflower. While these two tasted delicious, the novelty is only in the name.

VB Signature - Chennai Bloggers
Tandoori Momos

VB Signature - Chennai Bloggers
Sauces in Pipette
This Vasanta Bhavan, unlike the others, is started hugely banking on their signature menu. Hence the name. I wouldn’t call this a place I would walk into, when I want to hog like a monster. I would prefer a more conventional menu for that. But if you are feeling a little adventurous, this is the place.

VB Signature - Chennai Bloggers
Kavipoo Hashbrowns

This is a place I am going to be trying again and again, till I finish exploring all those signature recipes and to have those heavenly molaga bajjis.

Kudos to the Chef Vignesh, for making us explore our taste buds!

We were invited as food bloggers to taste their signature dishes. Therefore, service, quantity, and pricing are not discussed in this post.

Visit VB Signature at:
Nungambakkam ›
52, Nungambakkam High Road,
Nungambakkam, Chennai

~With lots of spice,
Nachos

Follow us on Instagram|Twitter|Google+
Like us on Facebook









No comments:

Post a Comment

Please say something nice... Yes, we are narcissistic! We love hearing good comments!