Saturday 14 May 2016

Tawa 9 - Nachos & Kulfi are on Cloud 9 - Restaurant Review


Vanakkam, makkale!

Nachos told me that I am like Leech from X-Men, when I am near Triplicane or Mylapore. He claims that I turn everyone around me to be a religious and/or preach purity and virtue to them. LOL! It is just where my heart is: in the crooked, crowded streets of Triplicane and Mylapore. I recently took him to this place called Tawa 9 after reading about it in my friend Katie's blog. I immediately wanted to try this place, and dragged him there.

Tawa 9 - Chennai Bloggers
Located in Venkatakrishna Iyer Road, RA Puram, right next to the Domino's Pizza.
The moment I entered inside there, it was a casual dining ambiance with normal furniture. This wall art caught my eye though.

Tawa 9 - Chennai Bloggers
Ambiance - Tawa 9
The moment Nachos saw the menu, he was super happy. He, being a dosa lover, was glad to see the amazing permutations and combinations of the dosas. He picked a Cheese Podi Dosa, while I picked their Signature Cocktail Idly. We also ordered their signature Corn Canapies and Saunf Sharbhat.

Corn Canapies: Served in waffles, this is a light-medium starter. The coleslaw/mayo-capsicum mixture was just perfect. Sev added a desi touch to this dish, and the cheese grating on the top was just yum! Priced at 60 INR, this is a must try here.
Tawa 9 - Chennai Bloggers
Corn Canapies
Cocktail Idly: Fried mini idlies dunk in amazing signature podi was served with coconut chutney. We had a mouth-orgasm as we ate this, for this was just amazing.
A quick tip: Ask for Sambhar with this, their Sambhar is tastier with this dish than the chutney.
 
Tawa 9 - Chennai Bloggers
Cocktail Idly
Cheese Podi Dosa: The dosa was fine, their podi is yummy, and the cheese flavor adds a great touch to this dish. However, we felt that the cheese and podi was put only in the middle of the dosa, thus except 1/3 part of the dosa, the remaining part was like a normal dosa. We told about this to the owner too. That 1/3 part of cheese and podi on the dosa was indeed yummy. While I liked the Sambhar and Pudhina Chutney, Nachos loved the Sambhar and the Kaara Chutney. The coconut chutney was good too.
 
Tawa 9 - Chennai Bloggers
Cheese Podi Dosa
Saunf Sharbhat: Nachos often teases me that I will survive only on Saunf. Ha ha, he is right. I love Saunf, so I ordered this amazing Sharbhat. He was not interested in taking a separate drink, so we shared this. He is not a Saunf person, so he found this to be good but not his glass of sharbhat. I, on the other hand, loved this but felt it was a little too sweet.
 
Tawa 9 - Chennai Bloggers
Saunf Sharbhat

While I wanted to go for Ennai Kathirikai Rice, Nachos was keen on North Indian, and as it was dinner time, we chose to have rotis over rice. We ordered 2 ghee Phulkas, 1 Laccha Paratha, and Paneer Butter Masala.

Ghee Phulkas: This were so yummy and perfectly tasted like home made ones.
Paneer Butter Masala: This was a disaster. While the paneer cubes were soft and yum, the gravy was too sweet (PBM is sweet, but this was way too sweet). Also, the gravy did not taste authentic to the original PBM taste at all.
 
Tawa 9 - Chennai Bloggers
Phulkas & PBM

Laccha Parathas: These were just about fine for my taste. However, Nachos found it too be tasty and good. I just took a couple of bites as I am more into a Phulka than Naan/Laccha Paratha.

Tawa 9 - Chennai Bloggers
Laccha Paratha

Well, a lovely addition to the ambiance is this serving window. Initially, I thought this was just a wall art until the window opened and we were served through that.

Tawa 9 - Chennai Bloggers
Candid Shots & Me
Finally, we had this amazing Oreo Dip for dessert. This is nothing but Oreo biscuit dunk in chocolate sauce. It was priced at 30 INR. A little overpriced for a single Oreo biscuit and a some sauce, but nevertheless a hearty finish to the meal. Again, I loved this, but Nachos was not that keen about it.
Tawa 9 - Chennai Bloggers
Oreo Dip
Here's a copy of our bill. All these were for less than Rs. 500. I would call this a complete VFM. Their service was quite good and quick too.
 

With lots of food,
Kulfi

Follow us on Instagram|Twitter|Google+
Like us on Facebook
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please say something nice... Yes, we are narcissistic! We love hearing good comments!