Tuesday 29 March 2016

Batman > Superman

Vanakkam!

By the time I booked the tickets for Batman vs Superman, the movie was already out for a couple of days and bad reviews everywhere. I tried to keep the public verdict away by shutting away from the media. But much like Ted Mosby and his friends trying to watch the Super Bowl game the next day without knowing who won, I couldn’t. Nevertheless, I managed to watch the movie with an open mind, and I am writing this not as a review but more of a perspective/general ranting from a guy who likes Batman way more than Superman.
Image Source: Google

I always thought Superman is boring. I remember seeing a YouTube video that analyses scientifically, what would happen to you if Superman punches your face. The answer? Your physical being will cease to exist before he even punches you. Batman brings the human element to the team of superheroes. If you don’t like Batman more than Superman already, this movie will do that for you.

**Spoiler Alert** (Or should I say an alert to save yourselves)
The whole Man taking on God idea is epic at a philosophical level. But in this movie, they fight because Superman’s mummy was kidnapped. And they stop fighting each other because they realise that their mothers share the same name. Are you kidding me??
Image Source: Google

I expected a much deeper and existential reason for them to get into a fight. I don’t know how Batman and Superman fought in the comics, as I was more of a “Shikari Shambu” kid. But I am pretty sure the premise can’t be that simple. Lack of a mind-blowing reason behind the fight between The Dark Knight of Gotham and The son of Krypton, put me off greatly. Not that Batman or Superman shouldn’t get emotional. James Bond’s character was given emotions when Daniel Craig took over, and it made him a brutal, aggressive, and an reckless Bond who was a lot of fun to watch. I just wish an emotional Superman or Batman was just as cool.

I also wish Superman and Batman were the only superheroes in the movie. Having WonderWoman simply undermined the seriousness of Batman and Superman. And the climax fight just reminded me of the Nokia 1100 game from back in the day: Space Impact. A two and half hour movie is just not enough for other extras to play their part. I would still have forgiven that, if it didn’t make us feel that Batman is one of those extras.
< span style=“font-family: inherit;”> The movie was heavily dependent on Ben Affleck’s bulked up physique and Batman’s stealthy prowess. When that is the case, shouldn’t there be more of Batman in the movie? Or just maybe I couldn’t get enough of Batman.
Despite the cliched and irritating moments, the first thing that strikes my mind when I think about the movie is Ben Affleck in his desert camouflage Batman suit. Damn! That was the coolest Batman I have ever seen. 
"Tamil padam mari irukudhu pa..” some say. Well... Isn’t that something to be proud of? You let me know...
~With a Kryptonite Spear,

Batman...
Nah, yours truly,

Nachos...
 
Follow us on Instagram|Twitter|Google+
Like us on Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please say something nice... Yes, we are narcissistic! We love hearing good comments!