Saturday 2 April 2016

Why You Should Not Watch Ki&Ka?

Hi, Folks,

Your Nachos is being busy writing his Zuka experience; thus, here I am writing another blog post. I happened to watch Ki&Ka, Nachos is angry about it though as I enjoyed the movie without taking him along. So, after watching the movie, I sent this message to my friends in one of the WhatsApp groups:

Me: Ki & Ka is awesome.
Friend 1: I heard it is waste of time.
Me: No, I really like it. Finally, some movie on egalitarianism, role reversal, and anti-gender policing.
Friend 2: You are telling like this, but the whole social media is trashing the movie.
Friend 1: Yes people are abusing Balki.

Image Source: Google





This made me check for the reviews of the movie. I didn't check reviews before going to the movie as I was pretty sure that the movie is going to be good, and I was not disappointed. However, from leading dailies to popular movie critics, all have bashed the movie. As much as I respect their experience and movie taste, with no disrespect to them, here is my review where I agree to disagree with them.

Plot: Kia, Kareena Kapoor, is an ambitious woman who loves marriage but is just afraid as she thinks it might make her compromise her career. Kabir, Arjun Kapoor, is an ambitious man who wants to create and manage a beautiful home for the woman he loves as he loves being an homemaker. They meet, fall in love, get married. Suddenly, they live in a perfect world. However, is perfect world real? What are the issues they face? How do they overcome it? Are insecurities and jealousy gender related issue? The movie answers these questions.

You Should Not Watch This Movie If:

5. You Flinch At The Idea Of Men Being Homemakers: I was talking to one female acquaintance of mine the other day. She mentioned how she wants to marry a guy who would understand her and accept her for what she is. She also said how he must be supportive of her career and help her with the household chores too. I mentioned to her that even I like Stay-At-Home Husbands. She got furious, and she mentioned "Stay at home? Are you mad? I meant the guy should earn well as well as help me around at the house. How can a man stay at home, yaar?" Well, I politely said, "I understand that. Your parents are both working, and your dad seems very supportive. However, my mom is a home maker, and I don't find it wrong with one of the parents being a homemaker." She laughed and said, "Moms can be homemaker, but homemaker dads, it's so funny." I didn't understand what was funny about it. However, if you too think it is funny, just like her, then this movie is not for you.

4. You Are A "Feminist": See, the feminist word is inside scarce quotes. With no offense to people who understand what feminism is, I would like to say that feminism has become overrated these days. I feel a bit embarrassed and afraid to publicly proclaim I am a feminist. Thanks to pseudo feminists. This film perfectly draws line between what true feminism is and what pseudo feminism is. At this one scene where Kareena (Kia) says, "So, you are going to sit at home and do nothing?" We all know what is wrong with our mentality. Kia is a woman who is so against the concept of women being called as men's pillars, and that primarily shows her as someone who supports women empowerment, but if you look deep into the movie, we will know her as a women who thinks only achieving something at work is an achievement and being a support system or creating a home isn't.

3. You Love Melodrama: Well, if you are expecting some rona-dhona, maafi-magna, etc., this movie is definitely not for you.

2. You Think If A Man Doesn't Work, He Is Neither On Top In The Bed, Nor In Life: Well, I am sorry to break this to you. However, a men can be a male nurse, a male nanny, a homemaker, a manservant, a cook, a masseuse, and even a gigolo, but that doesn't mean that he is henpecked by the woman of his life. Neither he is always submissive in bed, nor a loser.

1. You Can't Accept Some Stereotypes: Most of the negative reviews for this movie said the movie had cliches and stereotypes. Name one movie which hasn't. From Saala Khadoos to Chak De India, From English Vinglish to Black, every movie has some stereotypes in order to break some others. Yes, Arjun Kapoor (Kabir) wears Mangalsutra, is that a problem? Yes, Kareena Kapoor (Ki) jokes about his inefficiency to make coffee, while we enjoy jokes on wife, can't we enjoy one good mocking of the same?

On second thoughts, you must actually watch this film, so that you might actually know how to shed these stigmas and be more progressive. Well, if you think either this review or the movie is being didactic, then yeah it is, for if people don't need didactic stuff, we would be living in a perfect world, where I wouldn't have had that conversation about homemakers with my acquaintance in the first place.

WOWS:

1. The casting! From the leads to even the maid of the house everyone fits the role like a T. Apart from the leads, noteworthy performances were by Kia's mom, Swaroop Sampat, and the cameo by the veteran Amitabh ji. I, however, felt Rajat Kapoor was under used in the movie. He deserves at least one poignant scene.

2. The Screenplay! The movie doesn't make you feel bored or irritated. It is one thing that movies these days lack - a gripping and entertaining screenplay.

3. The Dialogues! Some dialogues despite being preachy and teaching are too good. Especially, the final conversation between Kia and her mom; this clearly explains what is wrong with mentality of many people. Also, in such a sensitive topic, the dialogues should not sound condescending as the probability for it to sound that way is high. However, this movie manages to strike the right balance when it comes to dialogues that they are fun yet give a message subtly.

OOPS:

1. The major OOPS with this movie is that there were too many brand promotions that were "subtly" placed in: Lakme, Stay Free, Saffola. What is it between Arjun Kapoor and Brands? Remember 2 states?

Well, I am not a pro-critic to rate this movie, but I definitely recommend you all to watch this as this is such a light, feel-good entertainer.

~With Lots Of Attitude,
Ki

Nah, this is just your Kufli <3

Follow us on Instagram|Twitter|Google+
Like us on Facebook


4 comments:

  1. Your review has got me interested in this movie, I would love to watch it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, watch and let us know how you liked the movie :)

      ~Kulfi <3

      Delete
  2. Hey i enjoyed this review very much!

    ReplyDelete

Please say something nice... Yes, we are narcissistic! We love hearing good comments!